Jul 20, 2012

a sewing pouch tutorial | vintage inspired

So remember a few weeks ago, I posted about the gift I sent to my giftee for the Handmade Gift Exchange?? Well... I have a secret: I really love making things! OH, not a secret?? OK. Well, I  especially love making things if it's a surprise gift for someone. Like, really really enjoy it.
So I contacted Linda and let her know that if anyone backed out or couldn't fulfill their gifter duties, I would be happy to step in and make another little something. Sure enough, Linda contacted me moments after my message was sent and needed help. YIPPEEE!
This giftee mentioned how much she loved to hand quilt and embroider... so... here is the gift I made her:



A little sewing pouch. There's a place to hold all your pins, needles and safety pins, and a pouch for scissors and thread and whatever else you need to keep on hand.


My inspiration for this project came from my best blog friend (and first Gift Exchange partner), Andrea. She rocks at embroidery! I remembered this post Andrea had written about a little sewing clutch she stitched up and knew it was what I wanted to make.
And I did... but, some how, after sewing it all, turning it inside out and top stitching, It looked like a 5 year old made it! Everything was slanted to the right and basically it just SUCKED! Nothing like Andrea's stellar Gettin' Stitchy Wit It clutch. So I took her basic idea, and made something similar.



Then packaged it up with a few of my cards and some twine and gift tags made out of vintage inspired paper.


After sending off this little beauty,  I felt sad and wanted one of my own. So I made one for myself. Good thing, because I documented the basic process this time around and can now share with you how to make a vintage inspired sewing pouch of your very own.



What you'll need:
Outter Fabric
Inner Fabric
Felt
Scrap fabric- for pouches and appliqué
Lace, button, cord and any other trimmings.


Start by cutting your fabric.
Outter fabric- 17" x 7"
Inner Fabric- 17" x 7"
Pouch- 5" x 7"
Pin holder- 4.5" x 7"
Felt- 2" x 7 "






After you have your fabric cut, hem the top of your pouch. Then sew the fabric that will hold your felt by folding it in half, right sides together and sewing the long sides together using 1/4" seam. Turn inside out and insert your piece of felt.


Lay out all your pieces and start pinning into place. As shown.






You can play with your scrap pieces and other trimmings to see where you want them on your outer fabric. I did this by folding the outer piece into thirds and using that as a guide. Once you get everything looking the way you like, pin it into place. (Note that there will be a 1/4" seem allowance after sewing it together)


Head back over to the sewing machine and start stitching/appliquéing  everything into place. You may have to take out some pins and move things around to get each piece of scrap stitched properly. I used a decorative stitch, but any stitch would work.
Add your button. 






For the inner fabric, you will pin your hemmed pouch on the bottom, and your pin holder (felt inside) in the direct center. Be sure to stitch down any other trimmings you'd like.
Stitch down the top of the pin holder.
If you'd like to keep your scissors and threads separate in the pouch, go ahead and mark where you'd like the scissor pouch to be and stitch down that line. (You do not need to sew up the sides of your pouch, as it will be stitched when we attach the outer and inner fabric)






Once everything that needs to be stitched is done and the pouch is pinned, attach the cord to the top of the outer fabric, taking note of where the button is. 


Next, place the outer and inner fabric right sides together and pin. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew the two pieces together... leaving the top open and unstitched for turning. 






Turn inside out and top stitch all the way around, closing up the turn opening. 
Thats it!










Close ups:



















What do you think? It came in handy the other night while I was embroidering this announcement! I'm in love.


If you make one, I'd love to see photo's of what you come up with! If you are confused on any steps or feel like I've left a step out, please email me!!!


Go be crafty and make something ;)