I promise, this recipe will NOT disappoint. Every single time I’ve served this, I get a message in the days following, asking for my recipe.
◦ 4 Chicken breasts
◦ 1 can of Newmans Own Black Bean and Corn Salsa
◦ 2 cans Northern Beans
◦ 1 Can Black Beans (This is optional, mom doesn’t use it in ◦ hers. I like the added color/flavor it adds)
◦ 1 carton Chicken Broth
◦ 1 bag of shredded cheese
◦ Tortilla Chips of your choice
Let’s cook it:
1. Cook the chicken. I pan fry it. My mom buys a roasted chicken. Others have broiled it. Any way you choose, just make sure it’s cooked and then shred it.
2. Combine chicken, salsa, un-drained beans and 3/4 bag of cheese in crockpot.
3. Stir it up a bit then slowly add chicken broth. Only add about 3/4 C to start with.
4. Simmer on low until the cheese is melted, adding splashes of the broth till you get the consistency you like.
5. Serve with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream. (I HAD to say dollop… LOL) and tortilla chips. Garnish with some fresh cilantro.
◦ I like mine to be on the thicker side, so I barely use a carton of broth, other’s like it soupy and use almost the whole carton.
◦You don’t need a crockpot to cook this, a friend of mine doesn’t have one and cooks hers on the stove.
◦ If you do have a crockpot, I suggest letting it simmer for as long as possible. SERIOUSLY. The longer it sits simmering, the better it tastes. I’ve put mine on the night before.
◦ You MUST use Newmans Own Black Bean and Corn Salsa. This is what gives the dish it’s distinguished flavor. (I’ve tried other brands of the black bean and corn salsa, they all suck)
How much does it make??
WAYYYY TOO MUCH. hah. It will feed ATLEAST 4 people., but more likely 6 people. We usually have it for lunch and dinner the following day if it’s just the two of us eating.
Special THANKS to my Mommy, who passed this recipe onto me.
I would love to try some of your favorite recipe’s. Link them up here. Old and New welcome.