Jan 7, 2012

bump it with no “bump it” | hair volume tutorial

OK. So I get a tone of emails asking about my hair. Actually…  even random people ask me how I do it all the time. My sister does her hair the same way, and is also ALWAYS complimented on her hair and asked how she does it, so here ya go. (you are welcome)
photo
NOTE: I am NO hairdresser. hah. This is simply me sharing my hair routine.
I have super fine hair. Baby fine.And it has NO natural volume to it whatsoever. If I just blow dry it… it’s stick straight and flat to my head. I know that my hair looks thicker but it’s just all the teasing (ratting) I do to my roots.  So here is how I get my volume.
FYI: I don’t use any product in my hair prior to blow drying. Just shampoo and conditioner and it’s then it’s blown dry upside down.
*** NOTE: I use hairspray in step 2. Hairspray IS a product.... Hope that clears up some confusion..... this was never intended to be a way to style hair without product.... 

There are 3 steps to the tease.
Step 1- Tease… I mean really tease… like RAT THAT SHIT. hah. Take your layer, put the comb at your root, and tease atleast 5 times, move the comb up a little bit, and do the same thing. You want about 3-4 inches teased, depending on your length. This is a crucial step, if you’re not teasing right, it won’t stay. (the Sister read through this to make sure I didn’t leave out anything and she made me put an extra emphasis on the teasing… see.. it’s important!)
Step 2. Spray a bit of hairspray onto your tease.
Step 3-  Shoot it with the blow dryer to dry the hairspray.
bump it yo
I start with the crown, usually do 3-4 layers. Then move onto the front 3-4 layers. After I’m done… it looks a bit crazy. Totally ok. Grab your trusty flat iron and smooth everything, root to end (making sure to pull straight up at the root for added lift).
hair
That’s pretty much it. Once every thing is smoothed out play with the pieces, you may have to go back in and tease a few random stubborn layers. Spray your whole head with hairspray. You’re done.
Whether it’s being worn down, being curled or put in a pony… my hair is always styled this way first.
I’ve tried so many volumizing products and they all tend to make my hair look and feel gross, plus they weigh my hair down like whoa. I love Big Sexy Hair products, but since $20 hairspray isn’t in my budget right now, Tresemme is the best cheap hairspray for this job.
You can see more pictures of my hair in my what I wore posts.


# kristanlynn
xoxo  


** for those that have inquired, my handmade dolls are available @ stitchedvintage.com