May 31, 2012

Homemade Lemonade- Pomegranate Lemonade | fresh squeezed lemonade with a touch of spearmint

Summer is upon us and Adelyn knows this. Her new thing is announcing it's SUMMERTIME followed by some sort of summer activity we HAVE to do. I'm not sure how she became obsessed with lemonade, but she insists on the fact it's a summertime drink and she needs to have it. Because, ya know... it's summertime.



So after looking at dozens of homemade lemonade recipes online, and them pretty much all being the same, I decided to just learn as I go... lemon, water and sugar.. how hard could it be? 

I opted for a pink lemonade, made with pomegranate juice instead of the normal cranberry. YUM!  If you'd like to jut keep it plain, just leave out the pomegranate juice.

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Fresh Lemon Juice (10-12 normal sized lemons)
  • 2 Cups Sugar (1 1/2 Cup if you'd like it less sweet)
  • 8 Cups Water
  • 1/2 C Pomegranate Juice
  • Handful of fresh spearmint leaves.

Let's quench your thirst!

1. To make your sweetening syrup, bring your sugar and 2 Cups of water to a boil in saucepan. Set aside and let cool.
2. Juice your lemons, it took 10 lemons for me to get 2 Cups of juice.





3. Mix your fresh lemon juice with remaining 6 Cups of water into pitcher. Add pomegranate juice (if you don't want pink lemonade, leave.
4. Slice 2 or 3 lemons thinly and add to juice mix.





5. Once your syrup has cooled, add it to the pitcher.

6. For the spearmint accent you'll want to fill your ice cube trays with your lemonade, push 2 leaves into each filled tray. 






Freeze. Add to filled glasses prior to serving.




The reason I didn't add the spearmint directly into the pitcher was simply because I knew it would not be gone in one day. I didn't want gross soggy spearmint in my lemonade the following day. If you plan on serving at a party or BBQ, you could add the spearmint directly to your pitcher.


I hope you love it. Craig says it's a bit on the sweet side, while I think it's a perfect mix of sweet and sour. And I love the minty twist!!!

xo