Jul 1, 2012

What I Made | Summer 2012 Gift Exchange with Craftaholics Anonymous

Have you heard of Linda from Craftaholics Anonymous?! I'm sure you have, but if not, you should get to know her! Not only is she super crafty and the owner of a to-die-for craft room, but twice a year she holds a handmade gift exchange, one in the summer and the other right before Christmas. This is my 3rd exchange, and I'm never disappointed! The basics are, you sign up, draw a name and make that person a gift. Someone draws your name, and they make you a gift. Easy peasy, right?!
If you missed out on this one, go over and sign up to get a reminder for the Winter exchange; which starts November 1st. Go ahead and check out the photo's of all the fun gifts made this time around over in the Flickr group and at Linda's link party. I'm beyond positive you'll find some great inspiration from other craft lovers! Plus, it's never too early to start thinking about those Christmas presents ;)

My giftee turned out to be Courtney, a SAHM of two, who lives 2,500 miles away in the beautiful state of Washington. After stalking her Elfster likes and Pinterest account, I knew what I wanted to make her. An apron; she had a few pinned and liked, and I figured an Anthropologie Tea & Crumpets apron knock-off would be perfect!

Tutorial for apron by Kelly @ Sewing in No Mans Land

Of course I wanted something to go with the apron, and what better item to accompany an apron than a recipe book?




I wanted something that could be customized to her needs. Something that she could write in, stick Grandma's handwritten recipe in or even just tape in a fun new recipe found in a magazine. So I opted to make a mixed media journal. Which turned out great, because I realized that she could really use it however she liked, holding recipes, photo's or whatever her heart desires.


I have to admit, this was my first ever mixed media journal! And I'm hooked. It was a bit intimidating at first, trying to think of what papers to use and how to go about it. Once I got started cutting and stacking it was a piece of cake though.


Using oversized library cards, fabric, vintage papers, designer card stock, maps, washi tape, lace, a sewing machine and mini envelopes, it all pulled together perfectly! (and to be honest, I wanted to keep it for myself. hah)

She can tape, glue, write or stuff in recipe's of her choice. And since I used book rings as the binding, she can easily add more pages to it! Also, if she decides she'd rather use it as a photo journal or inspiration journal, she certainly can do that too.

I topped off her gift with a set of 10 Kraft Mason Thank You cards from my Etsy shop.

Packaging was easy enough. I wrapped the journal with a fat quarter of fabric. Tied the cards up with some twine using a mini clothespin to attach the gift tags, set it all atop the folded apron and tied a scrap strip of fabric around it all to keep it together. (I took the picture before the last step)


I have to admit, I feel a little bad for my other giftees from the past... cause I think this one tops all of them I've done.

Did you join in on the gift exchange? I'd love to hear your experience!!

Happy Crafting.